Changgyeonggung Palace was originally built as Suganggung Palace by the 4th ruler of the Joseon Dynasty, King Sejong (r.1418-1450), for his retiring father.
It was built in 1483 during King Seongjong’s reign during the Joseon Dynasty. It was built on the east side of Changdeok Palace, following Gyeongbok Palace and Changdeok Palace, for three empresses.
Unlike other palaces, which set up the front gate in the south of the palace, the main gate is located in the east side of palace and characterized by its connection with Changdeok.
It became a park with a zoo and a botanical garden during Japanese colonial rule.
It has a painful history of the palace’s fall of authority, but the restoration work has been carried out since 1986 and has been searching for its old beauty again.
Walking along the stone wall road from the main gate, Honghwa Gate, you can get to the Daehakro, the mecca of the play and the street of youth.
The Five Palaces made during the Joseon Dynasty.
Historic Site No.123 (Designated on January 18, 1963)
2019 Changgyeonggung Palace permanent Nighttime Opening
(Enforcement on January 1, 2011)
09:00-21:00 (Last admission 20:00)
Available (33 spaces)
Adults (ages 25-64): Individual 1,000 won / Group (10+ people): 800 won
Adults (ages 19 and older): Individual 1,000 won / Group (10+ people): 800 won
Teenagers & Children (ages 18 and younger): 500 won
– Free admission: Preschoolers (ages 6 and younger), visitors wearing hanbok, all visitors on the last Wednesday of each month
– Integrated admission ticket is also available and can be purchased separately. Refer to the palace websites for details.
Standard fare: 2,000 won for 2 hr / 1,000 for every additional 30 min
Minibus and larger: 3,000 won for 2 hr / 1,000 for every additional 30 min
– Free parking when palace is closed
Interpretation Services Offered
English – 11:00, 16:00
Japanese – 10:00, 14:00
Chinese – 09:30, 15:00