Hwadam Forest is an ecological arboretum located in Gwangju, 40 minutes from Seoul.
‘The LG Sangrok Foundation’ has created about 4,300 species of homegrown and introduced plants in Korea and abroad with an emphasis on restoring the ecosystem of our forests.
Aims for an ecological space
Hwadam Forest aims for an ecological space where humans and nature can interact.
It preserved the vegetation of our forest as much as possible, and it was designed as an eco-friendly ecological space for anyone who loves nature to find it at ease.
And thanks to the preservation of natural terrain and vegetation as much as possible, you can see a variety of trees that have naturally settled along Nogobong’s valleys and ridges.
The five-kilometer forest walk trail is gaining huge popularity among family members as it is designed to provide a gentle slope to enjoy and heal nature in strollers or wheelchairs for the disabled, the elderly and children who are not able to trek even if they want to take a walk.
Project to restore species
As part of its project to restore species, Hwadam Forest, along with the National Park Service, is also studying and creating a habitat for the ecological restoration of fireflies and mandarin duck, an endangered species that grows naturally in Korea.
Thanks to these ecological restoration efforts, we can easily encounter friendly salamanders, hedgehogs and squirrels in Hwadam Forest.
In addition, it operates a freshwater fish ecology center and an insect experience center.
[Hwadam Botanic Garden]
* Hanok Jumak: Hanok-style restaurant where visitors can enjoy delicious food along with an excellent view of the forest and a fish pond
– Menus: Nokdu jeon (mung bean pancake), dubu kimchi (tofu with stir-fried kimchi), haemulpajeon (seafood and green onion pancake), dotorimuk (acorn jelly salad), and more
* The Tea House: Hanok-style tea house where visitors can relax while taking in the view of the beautiful lush forest
Menus: Green tea, burdock tea, lotus leaf tea, mulberry leaf tea, Americano, caffe latte
* Konjiam Resort Cafeteria: A spacious area that offers a variety of food
* Neutinamu: Grill your own barbeque with family and friends
* Damha: Restaurant that offers traditional Korean cuisine
* Mirasia: Eco-friendly buffet restaurant serving healthy menus made from fresh ingredients
* La Grotta: Italian restaurant equipped with a wine cellar cave, serving best quality wines
* Cafe Lounge: Dessert cafe that offers coffee, fresh juice, and cakes
Spring (April-May): 08:30-18:00 (Opens 08:00 on weekends)
Summer (June-August): 08:30-19:00
* Last admission 1 hour before closing.
* Operating hours subject to change each season. Verify schedule via website or make inquiries in advance.
[Konjiam Resort Parking Lot]
Hwadam Botanical Garden visitors can use Konjiam Resort parking facilities (Parking Lot 1, 3, 4, 5 & new/old parking tower)
– Use the circular train or Hanui Lift within the resort to get to the garden entrance
[Hwadam Botanical Garden Parking Lot]
Only available during peak season when the resort parking lot is full except for tour buses and vehicles for physically challenged
Adults 10,000 won / Senior citizens & teenagers 8,000 won / Children 6,000won
* Adults (ages 18-64), Senior citizens (age 65 and older), Teenagers (Middle & High school students), Children (Elementary student or younger)
* Free admission (ID required): Toddlers/infants less than 24 months old
* Monorail: Circular course of 1,213 meters traveling in the order of West Moss Garden Entrance – Garden Peak – Potted Plant Garden
* Freshwater Fish Eco Center: The center is divided into four exhibitions on the theme of “Beautiful mountain streams and water.” Diverse freshwater fish, including endangered species, are available for viewing. (Estimated 8,000 fish of 40 different species)
* Insect Eco Center: An educational center where visitors can observe insects from inside a glass greenhouse or outdoors.
* Convenience store, baby stroller & wheelchair rentals (available at ticket booth, 3,000 won), storage locker (1,000 won)
* Observation deck, grass field, resting area, benches, emergency shelter, outdoor restrooms
Facilities for the Handicapped
Desingated parking spaces & wheelchair rental (5) available
Facility Utilization Fees
– Course 3: Adults, Teenagers, & Senior Citizens 8,000 won / Children 6,000 won
– Course 2: Adults, Teenagers, & Senior Citizens 6,000 won / Children 5,000 won
– Course 1: Adults, Teenagers, & Senior Citizens 4,000 won / Children 3,000 won
* Due to limited space, visitors must ride at the selected time, no refund or exchange available.
* Riding with a stroller- Must pay children fee.
* Cannot hop off and hop on.
Baby Stroller Rentals